Homemade Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1 pound rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup safflower oil, plus more for baking dish
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center position. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with parchment and lightly oil.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the oats, coconut, almonds, sesame seeds, salt, and dried fruit. Separately whisk together the oil, honey, 1/3 cup water, vanilla, and egg whites; stir into the oat mixture.
3. Spread the granola in the baking dish and pack firmly. Bake for one hour, or until golden on top and along the edges. Cool completely.
4. Remove cooled granola to a cutting board. Cut in half lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-wide bars.