The mixture of sweet potatoes and apples makes this puree so delicious and so easy to make! This is a good recipe to have the kiddos help out with in the kitchen. Let us know what you think in the comments section below.
Attached is a printer friendly version for printing.
Sweet Potato and Apple Puree
- 2 lbs of sweet potatoes (or yams)
- 2-3 large granny smith apples
- ½ cup of finely chopped onion
- 2 TBS of butter
- ¼ TSP of nutmeg
- ½ TSP of finely chopped crystallized ginger
1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
2. Peel and core apples and slice thinly.
3. In large saucepan, boil sweet potatoes until very tender.
4. In large skillet, melt butter and cook onions and apples over moderate heat until apples are very tender (about 10 minutes).
5. Drain sweet potatoes very well and puree with apple mixture until smooth.
6. Stir in nutmeg and crystallized ginger.